In-House Legal Counsel, University of Manitoba Faculty Association
UMFA is seeking to hire full-time Legal Counsel to provide in-house legal support for its contract administration and grievance work. This is a one-year (12 month) term position that will begin on or about May 1, 2019.
UMFA is the certified bargaining agent for 1200 full-time academic staff at the University of Manitoba. Our Legal Counsel will be joining a dedicated team of staff supporting the Executive, Board of Representatives, and Membership in their mandate to:
• Promote the interests of teachers, researchers, and librarians at the University of Manitoba, to advance the standards of their professions, and to improve the quality of higher education in Canada;
• Bargain collectively on behalf of members of the Bargaining Unit;
• Represent all members of the Bargaining Unit in employer-employee relationships with respect to such matters as salaries, pension, working conditions, leaves, promotions, job security, and grievances.
Counsel’s primary contributions to UMFA will be:
• Working directly with our members on contract administration and grievance handling; and
• Providing support for UMFA committees as needed.
Qualifications and Competencies include:
• A Law degree from an accredited law school (LLB or JD);
• Member, or eligible member, of the Provincial Bar;
• Excellent interpersonal skills and an ability to provide support and advice in high-pressure decision-making processes; and
• Close attention to detail.
• Experience with grievance processes and contract administration is highly desirable.
UMFA offers a comprehensive and competitive salary and benefits package. We are also committed to employment equity.
A cover letter, complete curriculum vitae, and the names of three references are requested by Friday April 12, 2019, but will be accepted until the position is filled.
Applications can be sent to:
Chair, Counsel Search Committee. 100-29 Dysart Road, Winnipeg, Manitoba. R3T 2M7